Stackana - Hiragana/Katakana Learning Game
Posted by Ben Goh | May 8, 2010.
I am extremely happy to introduce Stackana -- a game through which anyone can memorize Hiragana and Katakana characters the fun and easy way! The game drives you to match Kana (Hiragana and Katakana) blocks with their corresponding Romaji (phonetics) blocks in an increasingly shorter interval.
This process causes you to memorize those Kana characters subconsciously as you immerse in the game play. Try it now, practice and find yourself memorizing more Hiragana and Katakana characters at the end of each game!
Stackana even include recently developed Katakana characters such as "va", "vi" and so on, rest assured that you are learning the complete kana writing system!
Stackana is built as a web-game, to support broad spectrum of user systems, its requirements are kept to the minimum. It requires only the following components to be installed before it can be run:
- Latest version of browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox or Chrome)
- Microsoft Silverlight browser plug-in
If you do not have Microsoft Silverlight plug-in, please click here to install it.
Stackana In-Game Screenshots
Stackana aims to put players at total control of the game in order to suit the pace of each individual. This section acts as a compliment to the self-explanatory game screens and describes parts of the game where configurations can be done to achieve that goal.
Stackana Main Screen
- 1 Click on this link to configure a game where Hiragana (and Katakana, if chosen) characters are randomly selected.
- 2 Click on this link to configure a game and hand-pick various characters from both Hiragana and Katakana sets to play with.
- 3 Click on this link to see who have helped making Stackana better. You can also share your thoughts and make Stackana better too! :)
- 4 Here is where you send us feedbacks, do let us know how you think!
Random Characters Selection
- 1 Slider to determine the number of variations in the generated character set. For an example: ?, ?, ? are considered three variations. The value can range from minimum of 4 to twice as many as there are columns on the game board.
- 2 Select this check box to include Hiragana characters in the selection.
- 3 Select this check box to include Katakana characters in the selection.
- 4 Click on this link to start playing game. If none of the above check boxes (Hiragana and Katakana) are selected, then Hiragana characters will be included by default.
Manual Character Selection
- 1 Characters such as 'wi' and 'we' look pale as compared to others (for both Hiragana and Katakana sets), indicating that they are obsolete in modern writings.
- 2 Select a few from over 150 available Kana characters, covering all Hiragana and Katakana that ever existed in Japanese writing system. Selected characters are marked in bold.
- 3 Click on this link to start play game. This link will only be enabled after at least four characters are selected.
Stackana In-game Screenshot
- 1 Total score collected, with speed indicator. Matching block will produce 10 points each (e.g. when three blocks of the same character matched, 30 points are rewarded). Speed starts off with '1' and goes as high as '9'. The higher the speed indicator goes, the faster the falling block drops.
- 2 Displays the up-coming block (which can either be Hiragana or Katakana), and its corresponding Romaji (phonetic) forms.
- 3 The falling block.
- 4 The falling block eventually reaches the bottom and merged with the other blocks on the ground.
Game Over Screen
- 1 Total score collected before the game ends.
- 2 Click on this link to start a new game.
- 1 This is where you enter your name.
- 2 It is optional, but you can enter your email address here. We will use this email address to contact you if necessary.
- 3 Tell us what you think about Stackana here. In fact this can be any message you would like us to know.
- 4 Click this button to submit once you are done. Note that both 'Name' and 'Message' fields cannot be left empty.
Want to Contribute?
If you believe you can contribute in making this game look/play better, I would like to hear from you! You can help me in many ways ranging from artworks (icon, designs, etc.) to game play (adding new ideas to the game, etc.).
As much as I love cash, I do not collect any. This game is intended to help those who want to memorize kana, you may want to donate to others and make their lives easier too! :)